Spa Chemical Maintenance
Ensuring Your Safety When Applying Hot Tub Chemicals
There are a number of important things to remember when applying chemicals to your hot tub or spa. Improper chemical application can be very dangerous and potentially cause a great deal of harm. In order to ensure your safety when adding certain types of hot tub chemicals to your spa, we have compiled a list of guidelines to follow to ensure a successful procedure. Follow the guidelines listed below for the safest application possible:
- Always follow the instructions listed on the manufacturer's label. Read the label before beginning any type of application.
- Make sure your hands are clean and dry before beginning your application. Likewise, make sure you wash your hands immediately after the application as well.
- Always add chemicals to water. Never add water to chemicals.
- Never mix chemicals together.
- Make sure you use plastic, glass, china or enamelware utensils and containers. Do not use metallic utensils.
- Never add chemicals to the spa water while there are bathers occupying the unit.
- Always keep chemicals out of the reach of children. In addition, chemicals should be stored in a cool, dry, locked area that is inaccessible to children.
- Never reuse old chemical containers and make sure you use separate containers for each type of chemical.
- Rinse out empty chemical containers before you throw them away. Neglecting to do so may result in fire, explosion or poisoning. Do not use soap or any other substance than water.
- Never inhale chemical fumes or allow the chemicals to come in contact with the eyes, nose or mouth. If possible, use a protective breathing mask while performing the application.
- Make sure you replace your chemical testing kit each year.
Following the chemical application guidelines listed above will help to ensure your safety and a successful application. If you experience any difficulties with the process, contact the manufacturer. If you experience any medical difficulties, contact your doctor immediately.
Neglecting to follow the guidelines listed above can result in bodily harm, injury and potentially death. Apply all chemicals with care and common sense. Complying with these recommendations and the recommendations of reputable hot tub manufacturers will not only ensure your safety but will also ensure your hot tub remains in good condition for as long as possible.
Advertiser Links for Spa Chemicals